Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sept 22, 2009 - Fargo gets a steering wheel & a friend.

I planned to get a tilt wheel so I could add a more modern stalk with cruise control. It makes getting in and out easier also.  I found online that old 1970 era Chevy vans have no ignition key on the stalk.  This is what I wanted since the Fargo has the ignition key on the dash.  I pulled one from Pick Your Part which cost $27.43
It was from a Van that had caught fire.  The turn signal stalk was a little melted but my plan was to replace that with a cruise control one.  I had to shorten the shaft and while doing that I screwed up and had to go to Kar Basher to get another.  That wrecker is pretty interesting.  It is very muddy and if it rains it is downright impossible to walk anywhere. The replacement cost me $36.75 - bummer.

I will replace the modern steering wheel later.

I also picked up another Dodge truck - this one a 1951 from a seller in Red Deer.  It actually is a Dodge and not a Fargo.  It cost me $350.0 and gives me another VIN to use that is an Alberta Vehicle.  The guy was planning to restore it but it is in worse shape than mine.  I will use the doors, bumper (hard to find), VIN, and steering wheel (maybe).

Here it is coming home.  My man Nathan helped me bring it back from Red Deer.  That guy is a trooper and seriously helped me with the towing.  Thanks Nate.
The '51 on Nate's trailer. On the right is the '52 frame. 
 I also cut the rear frame from the Dakota and attached a steel subframe to set the Fargo box on.  The Dakotas kick up really high in the back, whereas the Fargo is really straight. This would have worked but for a slight oversight on my part.......
Cutting the shackles loose from the Dakota frame.
Positioning the new steel subframe.
And more positioning.
And a shot of the front for inspiration....

The problem was that the Dakota frame was rusted through underneath and I didn't see it.  While I was working on the front I hit the frame with a hammer and a huge chunk of rusted metal -1/2 inch thick by 2 inches wide by 7 inches long - just fell out. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  I spent some time planning what I would do and decided to use the front from the Dakota and the rear from the Fargo.  Looking back this is what I should have done first - ah well, the whole reason for doing this project is to learn.  Thank God I was not paying someone to make this kind of mistake.

I cut and tack welded the frames together, set all the parts back on the truck, rolled the truck onto the back lawn and covered them for the winter to wait for 2010.

I have been keeping receipts on the project, one pile for truck and truck related items and one for tools to work on the truck. 

$3862.11 - Fargo Costs - trucks, fenders, nuts and bolts, steel, steering column, etc

$2519. 86 - Tool Costs - in here are some big ticket items like the air compressor and sandblaster and engine hoist.  If you remove those it is more like $650 for consumables like gloves, sanding disks, drill bits, flaring tool, brake cleaner, paint, etc.

Interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment