Thursday, August 26, 2010

Front end follies

So in the past week I ground down the welds on the frame and prepped it for paint.  That took about 3 days, because I had to drill a bunch of holes and get the rear spring mounts sorted out before I could paint.  I also had to fill a bunch of holes and smooth everything out as best I could. There is a pile of metal filings about 4 inches high and 2 feet across that I swept outside.

The painting took 2 days because you need to leave 6 hours between coats.  I used a product called DOM16 - it dries glossy black and is hard as nails.  We'll see how it lasts.  One quart did the whole frame 2 coats plus the lower control arms.... and if I remember a quart was around 40-50 bucks.

Today I put the front upper and lower control arms on, Springs and shocks, new wheel bearings, seals and rotors/hubs.  Essentially the front end is as new - all new bushings and moving parts.  I still have to put the steering linkage back on, the motor mounts on, and the sway bar.  Then the front end will be complete.

Here's where it sits right now.
The boxed frame, painted and ready to go.
The front end, totally rebuilt with new rotors.
Close up of the new rotors and nice shiny paint.

I sandblasted most of the parts in the hopes that the rust stays away.  It is hard sandblasting because I don't have a booth.  One day I hope to get one, but for now I sandblast in the driveway.  Michelle is pretty patient with all the sand I track into the house.

I am going to try and get a 5 lug rear end from a wrecker on Friday.  We'll see if I can get Shaver to help me with that project.

So far the entire project has been entertaining and a great learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. I bet that's a million times easier to work on off the frame...

    ReplyDelete