Wednesday, August 18, 2010

June 2010 - Time to get back to project rust bomb

2009 ended a bit badly for project rust bomb.  The setback from the rusty Dakota frame had kind of got me down.  I brought the frame into the shop and asked a friend - Mike - to help me weld it.  I only have a little 110 welder which is not big enough for the task.  Mike brought over his welding truck and we started to weld.

Here you can see the plate that I used to tie the two frames together.  It is 3/16" and I cut it using a plasma cutter that I borrowed from Bryant. 

A plasma cutter is awesome to have. It makes a job like this bearable. Without it I would have had to use a jigsaw and that would have sucked. Bry had the Lincoln ProCut 25 which can be used on a 115V line or a 230V line.  I plugged it into a 110 outlet and proceeded to carve up the steel plates.  It is a little slow going but still better than the alternatives.


If you are going to use a plasma cutter you need a good air supply.  I bought a Princess Auto vertical compressor for around a thousand bucks.  I had always wanted one and now I can run all my air tools and the plasma cutter. 

Here is Mike hard at work.  it is a lot of welding to box this part up.
Mike is all "I think we're done here"





No comments:

Post a Comment