Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Aug 31, 2009 - Cutting the frame

So the plan was to cut the frame and make the Dakota fit under the Fargo.

 I had to move the V6 engine forward 1.5 inches to clear the firewall. So I welded some tabs onto the Dakota stock mounts. Hopefully in the future if we want to swap engines these mounts will still work.  The plan for now is to keep the V6 for fuel economy.

This mount was also broken because a previous owner had left a bolt out and vibration had cracked the mount.

Kids, when you take something apart put it back together the same way.


I welded posts onto the frame to keep the height the same and then cut the frame apart at the stock seam where Dodge welds the 2 parts together.  I had the cab on the frame and the box and just measured the distance that needed to be removed - 22 inches I think.
Cut complete - kinda scary.  No turning back now.



I pulled the 2 parts together using tiedown straps.  The seam looks factory because it is where the factory join would be.
And here is the frame welded - and a good shot of the cab mounts I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment