Sunday, March 25, 2012

Project Lucky Strike

A lot of life changes are happening so I have been busy elsewhere and not really applying myself to the bike projects.  Now that I have the house mortgage all figured out I can breath easy and get back to it.

The Suzuki is getting all decked out in Lucky Strike livery circa 1990's as an homage to Kevin Schwantz.  I got some fairings from Ebay that were painted and decaled.  They  are OK - from China with love.  So the tank and rear seat cowl need to get painted to match.

I stripped off the paint using an aircraft paint stripper.  There were 4 layers on the tank.  It worked pretty good and got the tank to bare metal.


Here is a close up of the tank - the stripper just makes it bubble and lift up.  Again it worked ok.  Some of the really thick areas didn't lift up and I ended up sanding them.


I filled all the small dents and sanded the tank.  Then I etch primed it, then hit it with 3 layers of high build primer.  Then I sprayed it with a light guide coat of black and block wet sanded the tank down with 400 grit.

No comments:

Post a Comment