Friday, March 2, 2012

On and On - 1993 CBR

I set aside the Suzuki and started to make progress on the blue 1993 CBR.  It had had a rough life.
The Ebay carbs I bought arrived in the mail - damaged with a vacuum bowl broken.  I replaced it with one from the old carbs.  I then got some money back from the seller - so overall they only cost me 75 bucks (that's a good deal).



Once the carbs were on I added some new spark plugs and some fresh gas and lo and behold it started !  Nice.  These old bikes are hard to keep down.  I shot a short video of it and sent it to my friends (Nerd!)  They were not as enthused as I was : )

The front forks on this bike are messed up.  It appears that the top cap and tube are bent, as are the lower triple trees.  Yesterday I had swapped out upper tubes and internals from a 1996 F3 into project retro - converting it to a modern cartridge style. So I took those uppers leftover uppers and installed them into the lowers from the 1993.



Here's a shot of the disassembled fork -



The lower triple is messed up.  I ordered a new one from Ebay.  And then I cleaned and painted the upper triple.


I replaced the brake and clutch lever as they were both damaged.
It's coming along - I'm not sure if it will be worth a lot when it's fixed but right now I have most of the parts so it's a cheap project.

No comments:

Post a Comment