Friday, April 6, 2012

Goodbye profit margin

So I was tearing into the Suzuki and it has been going good.  I have it mechanically running good and the bike mostly painted and shiny.

I pulled the rear tire and front tires to paint them white and discovered that the front rim is bent ever so slightly.  CRAP!


I have no doubts that the bike would run ok with the rim like this - In fact I'm pretty sure the previous owner was driving it like that because the area had been painted over. Caveat Emptor.

Kids - always always always pay as little as you can for a used bike.  Especially if it is in an area where you can't really inspect it.

I don't need to sell a bike that has a chance of crashing because of a bent rim.
Sooooooo I bough a white rim on Ebay.  Annnnnd goodbye profit margin.

This project was never going to make a ton of money.  The plan was always to flip it for at least 10% profit. I'm not so sure that will be possible now.  Again we'll see when it sells.

The rear rim I did get painted white.  It looks ok.  There were some dings in it that wouldn't sand out.  And I wonder how well the base/clear paint will hold up to chain cleaning fluid.  I guess we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment