Tuesday, October 1, 2013

P.I.N.B.A.L.L.

The safety work I am doing in Vancouver is on the Expo Line for Skytrain.  While we were working one of the Skytrain employees mentioned to me that he had a pinball machine he wanted to sell.

Upon review it turned out to be a Gottlieb Series 80 Spider-Man.

I bought it - Duh....

Moved it into the townhouse with the help from my friends.  It is heavy.
I bought the machine being told it was working.  But I never actually plugged it in at time of purchase.  Ooops.

Because it wasn't working.  And for arguments sake lets just say maybe it got jostled a bit in the move and that's the reason.... Whatever.

So I bought a digital multi-meter and sourced the issue - turned out to be the power board.  I took the board in to John's Jukes here in Vancouver for repair.  But once the board was back in the machine other problems surfaced.  So I bought a board from Flippp.fr
Once that arrived and was installed the game fired up and worked electronically. 

I repaired the pop bumpers with boards from RottenDog.com.  And repaired a kicker bracket.

And, finally, it plays correctly.



It is a lot of fun.  Quite a bit older and thus slower than new games it none the less has a certain charm.  I'm unlikely to sell it quickly so I don't mind the parts and work that has gone into it. 

I also found I enjoyed the process of repairing it.  I may look for a few more pinballs in the future.

Yay! A new hobby.......

No comments:

Post a Comment