Monday, January 16, 2012

Crap & Carbs

The old 1993 CBR was annoying me because it would not start. And I don't know why but I need to fix things that don't work.  So I pulled off the air cleaner and dumped out the mouse nest in it (sorry - no photo).  Then I checked the spark.  Therefore, it must be fuel.

I pulled off the carburetors to clean them and inside they were gummed up with fuel varnish. Really gummed up - the choke would not move as the needles were frozen and the vacuum slides would not move either. This bike had sat a long time.  When trying to remove the air/fuel screws the two inside needles left their tips behind in the carb body.  Nice – now they are garbage.  I ordered a used set off eBay.  Not sure why as I never really planned to ride this bike or even fix it up.  Oh well.  They should be here next week.
I stripped down the carbs from my 1991 bike and boiled them in lemon juice.  Then I reassembled them.  They are so clean you could eat off them.  There was some light varnish in the bowl and a few of the slow idle passages were plugged.  It should run better now.  Next up is adjusting the valve clearance and syncing the carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment